In the ever-evolving landscape of media consumption, IPTV (Internet Protocol Television) has emerged as a popular and versatile way to access live TV channels and on-demand content. With its intuitive interface and extensive media management capabilities, Plex has long been favored by media enthusiasts as a comprehensive media server solution. However, many users might wonder if it’s possible to combine the power of Plex with the vast world of IPTV. In this article, we will delve into the world of Plex IPTV and explore how you can seamlessly integrate IPTV channels into your Plex media player for an enriched viewing experience.
What is Plex IPTV?
IPTV Free Trial
- +1300 Live TV & +3000 VOD
- TV Guide (EPG)
- Plus with Catch Up & Cloud PVR
- Reliable & Stable Server
- Supported to Android & Firestick
- 3 days Free Trial, No CC
- Instant Activation
Plex IPTV is the integration of IPTV services with the Plex media server, allowing you to watch IPTV channels and content through Plex on various devices. With Plex, you can stream live TV channels, record programs, and enjoy on-demand content, all within the Plex interface that combines both your local media and IPTV services. It’s important to note that Plex itself doesn’t provide IPTV services; you need to use a separate IPTV service or obtain IPTV playlists compatible with Plex. This integration creates a unified media center, offering a comprehensive entertainment experience.
IPTV stands for Internet Protocol television, which is different from the traditional TV model. It’s a live stream of your favorite channels on your device over the Internet. It has two ways, one is a standalone app download to activate IPTV, and the other requires an IPTV player to process IPTV playlists. Users can access unlimited live sports events, PPV, Boxing Streams, new movies, and international channels through the player. By far the most popular IPTV players are Plex, Kodi(Free), and VLC(Free).
Plex Pros Feature
- Capable free version
- Intuitive apps on many platforms
- Easy setup
- A growing library of on-demand and preprogrammed video-streaming content
- HTPC support only through forums
- Limited interface themes
- Removed features like gaming and podcasts
What Devices Does Plex Work On
Plex is a multifunctional media server platform that runs on many devices. Here are some devices that Plex is compatible with:
- Computers: Plex has dedicated applications for Windows, macOS, and Linux operating systems. You can install and run Plex on your desktop, laptop, and home server.
- Mobile devices: Plex offers a mobile app for iOS and Android devices. You can access and stream media content on your smartphone and tablet.
- Smart TVS: Plex is supported on many smart TV platforms, including Samsung Smart TVS, LG Smart TVS, SONY Bravia, and Toshiba TVS. Some TVs have a built-in Plex app, while others may you to install the Plex app from the appropriate app store.
- Streaming devices: Plex works with popular streaming devices such as Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, NVIDIA Shield TV, and Google Chromecast. You can install the Plex app from your respective app store.
- Consoles: Plex is available on consoles such as Xbox One, Xbox Series X, PlayStation 4. and PlayStation 5, allowing you to stream media on your TV through these devices.
- Set-top boxes: Devices such as Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV Cube, and NVIDIA Shield TV Pro act as set-top boxes and support Plex streaming content.
- Web browser: Plex also has a web-based interface that can be accessed through a compatible Web browser on a variety of devices. This gives you access to the Plex library without a dedicated application.
It is important to note that the availability and functionality of Plex may vary depending on the specific device and operating system. But, Plex’s cross-platform compatibility ensures that you can enjoy your media library on a variety of devices at home.
Benefits Of Using Plex
- It is free (there is also a paid version)
- Works on most devices
- Remote access, invite family members to join your plex
- Limit content to other family members
- Plex supports instant transcoding, which means it can adjust video. and audio quality in real-time to suit the features of the device you’re streaming on.
- A 30-second preview of TIDAL songs
- Mobile Apps (Android and iOS)
- Plex is free to use, but it offers a premium subscription called Plex Pass that allows for live TV. mobile syncing for offline access, DVR, advanced music features, photo tagging, and more.
- Plex provides an interface with customizable settings and preferences.
- Watch the trailers before you watch any movie
- Plex has an active community of users who contribute plugins, themes, and other add-ons to enhance the Plex experience.
Note: Before adding M3U to Plex, we first need to get a subscription plan and information about active M3U links from the IPTV subscription provider. Until then, it is recommended to find an IPTV service provider that works for M3U. It should be noted that AirTV IPTV does not support M3U and third-party apps, as well as Plex. It has a separate APK application. But if you’re an IPTV sports enthusiast and a big fan of Android devices and Firestick. AirTV IPTV is definitely the best IPTV service for you to watch live sports. Click here to read about: AirTV IPTV Reviews.
- Watch the Live Sports Channel Top 15+ USTVGo Alternatives
- How to Install & Update Cinema HD APK on Firestick
- How To Install STBEmu Pro For Firestick & Android 2023
How do I add M3U to Plex?
Plex’s support for M3U playlists may depend on the particular version of Plex you are using. Also, some versions or platforms of Plex may must more plugins or third-party tools to handle M3U playlists. For now, I recommend the more reliable way to enable Plex IPTV: install xTeVe.
This is a free and open-source M3U agent that simulates tuners to package IPTV M3U playlists as regular TV channels that can be streamed over Plex. Below I will show you how to make Plex M3U IPTV work with xTeVe.
Note: To install and use xTeVe, make sure your Plex Media server version is available at 188.8.131.5230 or higher. And you need to customize Plex Pass because Plex Pass provides DVR support.
Install xTeVe – Add M3U to Plex
- 1. Open the device, enter the browser, and search for Plex Media Server.
- 2. Download Plex Media Server and complete the installation.
- 3. Open the xTeve file and run xTeve. Now, a window will appear, please single “allow access”. xTeve will continue to run, as shown in the following figure.
- 4. Locate the Web Interface line and copy the link.
- 5. Now, go to your browser again and paste and search for the copied link.
Configure xTeve – Add M3U to Plex
- 1. Go to the xTeve configuration page.
- 2. Enter the number of tuners required and the number of parallel connections that can be established with the provider). Then click Next.
- 3. In the EPG Source section, select “XMPG” from the drop-down menu bar. Click” Next ‘.
- 4. Enter the M3U link from the IPTV provider and click ‘Next’.
- 5. Enter the XMLTV file. If there is no XMLTV file, click Next.
Note: The M3U playlist and XMLTV file URL should be available from your IPTV provider.
- 6. You have now configured the xTeve. Channel to load the Whoosh on your device.
Note: Plex can only handle a maximum of 480 channels. If you have more than that number of channels, you won’t be able to stream any content on Plex. Therefore, you must use filters to get only the channels you need.
- 7. On the xTeve menu, select “Filter playlist” and click “New”.
- 8. Select FLITER and select M3U: Group Title. Then click “Next”.
- 9. In the Group text box, enter related information.
- 10. Click Save and the system will filter the channel.
- 11. Now go to “Mapping”. You should see all filtered channels displayed in the list.
Note: If the red color appears, the channel information is incomplete. This channel is not available at Plex, in which case you need to map it to the EPG channel. All you need to do is right-click, click on one of the unavailable channels, and you can start mapping. After the mapping is complete, you can click Save.
How to add IPTV to Plex?
After configuring xTeve, you can now add IPTV to your Plex, be sure to follow the steps below.
- 1. Open Plex IPTV application.
- 2. On the menu bar of the home screen, tap the Settings icon.
- 3. Next please roll the mouse to the administration section and select Live TV and DVR.
- 4. Click the Set Plex DVR button, which Plex will detect your tuner. If the tuner cannot be detected, enter its network address on a single machine. And enter * your IP address *: 34400. The single machine “CONNECT”.
- 5. Select “Continue”. A filtered channel will be displayed on the screen. Click “Continue”.
- 6. Enter the language English, XMLTV Guide Enter http://* your IP address *:34400/xmltv/xteve.xml. Then click Continue.
- 7. Now you will see a list of all available 2 channels. Check that the channel matches the XMLTV guide data. Then click continue.
- 8. You have now added IPTV to Plex.
Can you play IPTV on Plex?
After IPTV is configured on Plex, you can continue to access content for watching and playing IPTV.
- 1. When your load reaches 100%, please select the “View Guide” button.
- 2. This is the screen that will display input IPTV service for all the channels.
- 3. Now you can play IPTV on Plex.
How to access Plex channels and VOD
Plex Media Player has a good collection of channels and VOD. Without choosing to buy an IPTV subscription. It offers 80+ TV channels for you to watch. If you want to see all more channel content. Then you need to buy a Plex Pass subscription. To start.
- 1. Launch the Plex Media Player application.
- 2. Log in to the Plex Pass account
- 3. After login, you will see all the channels and on-demand content about Plex IPTV will appear on your home page.
Where To Find The IPTV Plugin In Plex
Before doing this, you need to start Plex and go to the Channels section inside the Plex. At this point, you will see a plug-in called IPTV.
Note: If you don’t see the plugin, make sure you have unzipped the folder and put the file in the right section of the previous step. Follow my steps next!
- 1. Before entering IPTV, click “IPTV Settings”.
- 2. Put the M3U link you obtained from the IPTV service provider into the customer area on the website.
- 3. Look at the image below and fill in the associated file name and URL link in XMLTV.
- 4. Remember to leave everything at its default values, then slide to the bottom and click the Save button.
Are there better alternatives for IPTV than Plex?
There are several alternatives to Plex that offer similar media servers and streaming capabilities. Here are some popular alternatives worth considering:
1. IPTV Smart Purple Player
IPTV Smart Purple Player is a robust IPTV player that offers extensive features and supports both Xtream Codes API and M3U playlists. It provides a built-in player for seamless playback and is compatible with external media players as well. The player includes Electronic Program Guide (EPG) support for live TV channels and features a Video-On-Demand (VOD) library. Additionally, it allows for easy casting from other devices. The player offers parental control options for each category, ensuring a safe viewing experience. With IPTV Smart Purple Player, you can enjoy high-quality 4K content effortlessly. It is available for download on both Google Play Store and the App Store.
2. TiviMate IPTV Player
TiviMate IPTV Player is a top-tier IPTV player specifically optimized for large screens. It offers a rich array of features that enhance your viewing experience, such as an Electronic Program Guide (EPG) for easy channel navigation, a catchup facility to access missed content, and support for multiple playlists. The player also allows for customization, enabling you to personalize its interface to your liking. TiviMate IPTV Player is conveniently available for download on the Google Play Store, making it an ideal choice for streaming on Android Smart TVs and Firestick devices.
3. XCIPTV Player
XCIPTV Player stands out as a robust IPTV player that incorporates two built-in media players, ExoPlayer and VLC Player. With its wide-ranging format support, including Xtream Code API and M3U URL, it caters to diverse streaming preferences. The user-friendly interface makes it a top choice for IPTV enthusiasts, ensuring a seamless streaming experience. Notably, XCIPTV Player is readily available on reputable application stores for popular streaming devices like Android and iOS, and it offers compatibility with various other platforms as well.
Kodi is a versatile media center software that transforms your device into a powerful media hub. It supports a wide range of media formats, has extensive customization options, and offers add-ons for additional functionality.
Emby is a feature-rich media server platform that allows you to organize, stream, and access your media collection. It offers robust server-client architecture, media transcoding, support for multiple devices, and cross-platform compatibility.
Jellyfin is an open-source media server that provides a customizable and self-hosted streaming solution. It offers features like media organization, transcoding, client apps for various devices, and support for plugins and extensions.
7. Plex: Free vs Paid
Below is a table comparing the features of Plex’s Free Version and Plex Pass (Paid Version):
|Features||Plex Free Version||Plex Pass (Paid Version)|
|Media Organization||✔️ Organize media library with metadata, posters, and descriptions||✔️ All features of the Free Version|
|Streaming||✔️ Stream media to computers, smartphones, tablets, and streaming devices||✔️ All features of the Free Version|
|Live TV||✔️ Supports live TV streaming and DVR with compatible tuner and antenna||✔️ All features of the Free Version|
|Podcasts||✔️ Listen to podcasts within Plex||✔️ All features of the Free Version|
|Music||✔️ Enjoy music collection and create playlists||✔️ All features of Free Version|
|Mobile Sync||❌ Not available||✔️ Sync media to mobile devices for offline playback|
|Parental Controls||❌ Not available||✔️ Set up parental controls for content restriction|
|Movie Trailers & Extras||❌ Not available||✔️ Access movie trailers, interviews, and bonus content|
|Multiple Users||❌ Not available||✔️ Create managed user accounts with personalized recommendations and watched statuses|
|Hardware Acceleration||❌ Not available||✔️ Unlock hardware transcoding for improved streaming performance on compatible devices|
|Premium Music Features||❌ Not available||✔️ Enjoy advanced music features like lyrics and mood playlists|
|Early Access to Features||❌ Not available||✔️ Get early access to new features and enhancements|
|Pricing||Free||Subscription-based (monthly, annual, or lifetime)|
Note: The table is a representation of the information provided in the text. “✔️” indicates that the feature is available in the respective version, while “❌” indicates that the feature is not available.
Why is my Plex IPTV Plugin Not working?
If your Plex IPTV plugin is not working, here are some simple troubleshooting steps to try:
1. Check compatibility: Ensure that the IPTV plugin you’re using is compatible with your version of Plex.
2. Verify installation: Make sure the plugin is installed correctly according to the provided instructions.
3. Restart Plex server: Restart your Plex media server to resolve any temporary issues or conflicts.
4. Update the plugin: Check for any available updates for the IPTV plugin and install them if necessary.
5. Review plugin settings: Double-check the plugin settings within Plex and ensure they are configured correctly.
6. Check your internet connection: Ensure that your internet connection is stable and functioning properly.
7. Confirm IPTV provider status: Verify that your IPTV provider is operational as service issues can affect the plugin.
8. Seek support: Reach out to the plugin developer or consult community forums for assistance and guidance.
If the issue persists, consider contacting the plugin developer or Plex support for further assistance tailored to your specific situation.
Does Plex still work?
Yes, Plex is still an active and functional media server platform. It continues to be widely used by individuals and organizations for organizing, streaming, and accessing media content. Plex regularly releases updates and new features to enhance the user experience and ensure compatibility with various devices and operating systems. As of my knowledge cutoff in September 2021, Plex is actively supported and maintained by its developers. It’s advisable to visit the official Plex website or consult their support channels for the most up-to-date information on Plex’s functionality and availability.
How do I add a VOD to Plex?
1. Prepare your media: Ensure that your VOD content is in a compatible format and organized in a dedicated folder on your computer or NAS device.
2. Access Plex Media Server: Open the Plex web interface by launching your 3. preferred web browser and entering the URL “https://app.plex.tv/desktop” or by accessing Plex from your local network IP address (e.g., http://localhost:32400/web).
4. Sign in to your Plex account: Enter your Plex account credentials to log in. If you don’t have an account, create one by following the on-screen instructions.
5. Open the Plex library: Click on the “Libraries” option in the left sidebar and select the library type that suits your VOD content (e.g., “Movies” for films or “TV Shows” for series).
6. Add a library: If you haven’t set up a library for your VOD content yet, click on the “+” icon next to “Libraries” and select the appropriate library type.
7. Configure library settings: Give your library a name and choose the language for metadata, then click “Next”.
8. Choose the folder: Click on the “Add folders” button and browse your computer or NAS device to select the folder where your VOD content is stored. Click “Add” when you’ve selected the correct folder.
9. Confirm folder selection: Review the folder selected and click “Add Library” to finalize the library setup.
10. Analyze and scan for media: Plex will begin scanning the selected folder for VOD content. It will automatically gather metadata, such as titles, descriptions, and cover art, to enhance the browsing experience.
11. Access your VOD content: Once the scanning process is complete, you can access your VOD content within the Plex library you set up. You can stream it to various devices connected to your Plex account.
Is Plex free?
Plex can also be said to be free, free can only view 80+ channels. You can get a Plex Pass Premium subscription for a fee and activate one of the apps for just $5 a time. You can get 300+ channel content and PVR workers.
How is Plex different from Netflix?
Netflix takes care of all the work involved in managing and curating a collection of TV shows and movies for a subscription fee. In contrast, Plex puts you in charge of finding and organizing the content you want to watch. While Netflix offers a Basic plan starting at $6.99 with ads, it does not provide access to its entire library. On the other hand, Plex offers its own ad-supported TV show and movie library completely free of charge.
How Much Does Plex Cost?
Plex has both a free version and a paid subscription called Plex Pass. The free version provides basic features, while Plex Pass offers additional benefits. Plex Pass can be purchased on a monthly, annual, or lifetime basis, with pricing ranging from $4.99 per month to a one-time payment of $119.99. It’s worth noting that the free version of Plex is still functional and the paid subscription is optional for those who want extra features.
What is the cost of a Plex Pass Subscription?
Plex Pass monthly plan costs $4.99/month, $39.99/year, and $119.99 for a lifetime.
Is Plex legal in UK?
Plex is a legally recognized media server platform in various countries including the UK, USA, Germany, Canada, Australia, and others. The legality of using Plex depends on the source of the content you stream. If you acquire the material legally, such as by purchasing a movie or obtaining it through authorized means, it is perfectly legal to watch it on Plex using your device, regardless of your location.
What is XTeve?
XTeve is an open-source IPTV proxy server that allows you to integrate IPTV channels into media streaming applications like Plex, Emby, and Jellyfin. It acts as a bridge between IPTV providers and these media servers, providing a unified interface to access IPTV channels alongside your local media library. With XTeve, you can transform IPTV channels into a compatible format for smooth streaming and accurate channel information. It simplifies the management of IPTV services and enhances your media streaming experience. Please note that XTeve is a separate software that needs to be set up and configured independently.
In conclusion, Plex IPTV opens up a world of possibilities for users who wish to consolidate their media consumption under one unified platform. By leveraging the power of Plex and IPTV, you can create a personalized media hub that caters to all your entertainment needs. Whether you’re a sports enthusiast, a movie buff, or someone who enjoys exploring diverse TV channels, Plex IPTV brings it all together in one cohesive and user-friendly interface.
So, if you’re ready to enhance your Plex experience and explore the vast realm of IPTV content, give Plex IPTV a try. With the right plugins and setup, you’ll have access to an extensive range of live TV channels and on-demand content, all within the familiar and feature-rich environment of Plex. Embrace the fusion of traditional TV and modern streaming possibilities with Plex IPTV, and take your media consumption to new heights. Happy streaming!